Saturday, 1 January 2011

2010: A Reflection

<-- start of 2010

end of 2010 --->

Happy New Year everyone! It's happened, we have arrived at the first day of 2011. And it wouldn't be the start of the year if we didn't look back at the previous year and try and decipher where it all went wrong so we could try and put things right in the months that lie ahead (only to inevitable end up cocking it up worse than ever). You might remember that in my first ever blog here at Silly Old Daniel Says... (that's right, that's the proper name of the blog-- don't worry I didn't realise either) I sat down and made some New Year's Resolutions. Before I reveal what I'm planning for 2011, let's see how well I did with my resolutions for 2010, shall we...?

1. Stop randomly writing about celebrities.
Right, well. Not off to a good start. However, I'm not classifying it as a failure because, really, I don't write randomly about celebrities anymore I have a whole section devoted to them in the form of the Silly Old Daniel Celebrity Roundup, and realistically that is the only reason anyone reads this blog in the first place, right?

2. Pass my driving test.
There is no spin I can put on this, I just simply have not passed my driving test.

3. Stop being horrible to the customers at work.
I can safely say that I am now quite nice to the customers at work. The unfortunate thing is that most of them are such terrible fuckwits that I can't help but scowl at them a little bit. But I'm never horrible unjustifiably.

4. Stop shouting randomly at my parents.
Yeah we're alright now.

5. Stop moaning about University.
I think I made this resolution in the vain hope I would stop hating University. Well, I didn't. I fucking hate it, and if anything this year I am resolving to moan more about it.

6. Stop slagging everyone off for no reason.
Failed miserably. Six minutes into 2011 I had already called two people "stupid twats", so it's obviously an ongoing problem.

7. Stop getting off with people I don't fancy in nightclubs.
There's nothing wrong with a little kiss every now and then, is there? Who the fuck wrote these resolutions, Ee-Yore or someone who similarly has no idea how to enjoy themselves? My Christ.

So yes, in all it wasn't exactly a good year for Resolutions was it? This year I am only making two, and if I don't keep them my life will essentially be ridiculous, so they're pretty important.

1. Pass my fucking driving test.
I have been doing lessons for around a hundred years and it seems I am incapable of passing my test. My poor driving instructor must take the money from my lessons and give it straight to his psychotherapist.

2. Go to France.
Get grades good enough that I won't have to re-sit modules and get myself to France in October where I can spend my days eating croissants (which I don't actually like but whatevs) and getting off with boys named Pierre and Jean-Jacques.

All in all it wasn't that bad a year, was it? If we exclude 90% of my time spent at University, that time in The Bank when I was sick all down myself and had to go home and that date where I drank two bottles of wine and shouted as loudly as possible that the man I was with had taken advantage of me, I'd say it was pretty good.

I went to Belfast, passed my first year at University, got to co-host my own radio show, saw the greatest spectacle of my life in the form of Rihanna's show, had "intimacy" with some lads I actually fancied and dressed up as Cheryl Cole for Halloween...not too shabby, eh?

And now it is all over. I'm trying to think of a not cheesy ending so I'll just say: let's try and make as many happy memories in 2011 as I had in 2010. And, in the interest of not being cheesy, I will conclude with the word urethra.

1 comment:

  1. My resolution is to stop making fucking resolutions. Oh, yeah, and to clean some of the debris out of my bedroom before I end up like one of those people on Hoarders.

    Happy New York. I will continue to read you faithfully.

    ReplyDelete